The hammer is an item that has been present in Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. It is used as an optional attack and can break blocks. It usually can be upgraded to stronger hammers. Super Paper Mario has a Pixl hammer named Cudge, but it can't be powered up.
In Paper Mario it is given by Goompa after finding him and his Hammer lost in the bushes. The first hammer is wooden. It has 2 upgrades: the Super Hammer and the Ultra Hammer. The Super Hammer is found in Dry Dry Ruins, and the Ultra Hammer is found in Mt. Lavalava.
In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door it is a default weapon. The first hammer is wooden. It has 2 upgrades: the Super Hammer and the Ultra Hammer. The Super Hammer is given by Podler in Glitzville. The Ultra Hammer is found in Rogueport, but Mario must use Spring Jump to get it.
Effects In BattleEdit
In battle, Jump attacks can not work on every single enemy, the Hammer is an alternative attack. It works on all ground enemies and is always stacked damage, proving useful against fire, spiked, and high defense enemies.
Effects Out Of BattleEdit
The Hammer can be used to knock items out of trees, break certain Blocks. The type of block Mario can break depended on what type of Hammer he had.
In Paper MarioEdit
- Yellow Blocks can be broken by any Hammer
- Stone Blocks can be broken by the Super Hammer and Ultra Hammer
- Metal Blocks can be broken by only the Ultra Hammer.
In Paper Mario: The Thousand Year DoorEdit
- Small yellow blocks can be broken by any Hammer
- Big yellow blocks can be broken by the Super Hammer and Ultra Hammer
- The move Spin Hammer is introduced as the way to destroy big blocks.
- Stone blocks (big and small) can be broken by only the Ultra Hammer.
- Metal blocks can't be broken by any Hammer.
Super Paper MarioEdit
In Super Paper Mario, with the help of the Pixl Cudge, every character can attack with a Hammer if the character is on the ground. Also in this game, Dark Mario can use a hammer to attack the player.
In Paper Mario: Sticker Star Edit
In Paper Mario: Sticker Star, multiple Hammer stickers can be found throughout the game. While Mario can still use his hammer within the overworld, there are a variety of Hammer stickers found in the game, including:
- Hammer (usable in the overworld as well)
- Eekhammer (strikes enemies five times with increasing damage)
- Slaphammer (hits an enemy to the background)
- Baahammer (puts enemies to sleep upon usage like the Sleepy Sheep)
- Hurlhammer (throws the hammer like a Hammer Bro that can reach flying enemies)
- Burnhammer (burns enemies upon usage like the Fire Flower, but with more damage)
- Chillhammer (freezes enemies upon usage like the Ice Flower, but with more damage)
Every Hammer in the game has a Worn-out (Hammer Only), Shiny (not Baahammer, Burnhammer or Chillhammer), Flashy (not Baahammer, Burnhammer or Chillhammer), Big Shiny or Megaflash variants.
Concerning the overworld hammer, Mario obtains this at the beginning of the game, after recovering from Bowser's attack on Decalburg. In World 3-7, Rustle Burrow, Mario loses his overworld hammer; as such, he is unable to use Hammer stickers in battle.
In Paper Mario, Spy Guys also have Hammers, and these hammer attacks can cause Mario to lose one of his Action commands for about five or four turns